Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy at the Jersey Shore

As Hurricane Sandy looms, friends and family have been forced to evacuate.  Our children will not be headed to school before Wednesday and now we just wait.


Hurricane Sandy

At just past Midnight, October 29, 2012 we listen to the endless streams of reports coming from neighboring states, and counties.  I live a few miles inland, and so will not need to evacuate.  However, many of our friends are in areas that are closer to the bays, rivers and Atlantic Ocean and they have been uprooted from their homes, not knowing what will happen next.

Local shelters have been set up throughout the state.  And, as we watching a live stream from the news channel, there is an eerie feeling as we see places like Grand Central Terminal, in New York shut down without a single soul present.  In our local area, major roadways, ones that typically are crowded will be silent this coming Monday morning.  Stores, schools, everything completely cut off until Hurricane Sandy unleashes her wrath on the area.

An ironic thought came to mind tonight... what if this was happening next week?  What if this was happening on Election Day?  What would that do to people?  Would it sway their thoughts?  Hmmm...

The winds bustle now.  On and off throughout the day and now into the night.  With each 30+ mile an hour gust of wind, my stomach flips, wondering if a crash will follow.  And, knowing that these "breezes" will weaken trees, power lines, structures... well before the true winds come... it is very unnerving. 

I am a person of Faith and know God is  in control.  But, I am human, and not having any control lets fear creep in and nudge at my faith.  Last year, Hurricane Irene was scary, but we were blessed in that we didn't lose power or suffer much damage except for downed foliage.  Am I foolish to hope that this time, despite the colorful maps pointing Sandy to our doorstep, we will make it through once again?

Yes, I have taken the time to tell people that I love them.  I am grateful for the opportunity to do so, when in most cases, those moments are not made available.  Friends since childhood, distance relatives, close relatives... even online friends who I've never met, but cherish them dearly.  There is no time like the present. 

Be safe my friends.  Pray for those in the path of Sandy. 

I Love You!  Thank You for being a part of my life.

When the tides recede, I will see you again.

<3

~Joy~

#njsandy

No comments:

Post a Comment