Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: Take A Left at New Jersey

Well, I managed to get some sleep last night.  Not much, really.  I fell asleep after 3, inbetween gusts of wind creaking the trees in the yard.  Without school or work, I slept "in", waking up just before 9.  Somehow, I don't feel rested though.  I was relieved to get through the night, because as well all know, dangerous, evil things always happen in the dead of night.

I check for updates this morning, only to find that Hurricane Sandy must in fact want to check out the Jersey Shore.  Over those few hours I slept "she" make a left turn headed straight for the shore.  My stomach lurched when I saw that.  To think we would escape once again?  Naive at best.  Outside, it looks like no more than a windy storm.  We get them in the spring and in the fall, typically causing some minor problems, but never real serious.

A strong gust blows every 30 seconds or so, rattling the house and giving an occasional flicker of lights.  Sadly, this is going to be the norm for the next 10-11 hours, with Sandy expected to make landfall sometime after 8pm.  Yep, Sandy is headed for us in the dead of night.  As much as I'd like to take a little night-time tonic, to help me sleep, the idea of being unalert when she arrives is discomforting as well.  And to think I was feeling "anxious" yesterday. 

It is a ghost town, as most stores are closed.  Employees of emergency services the only ones allowed on the roads.  Even though she hasn't arrived yet, Hurricane Sandy has already taken its toll on much of the shore, with areas flooding and historic places such as Atlantic City are losing its boardwalk.

Well, power dipped so headed off for now...

Stay Safe!

If you are local, check out news on Jersey Shore Hurricane News, a facebook page started last year for updates about Hurricane Irene.  Invaluable source!  http://www.facebook.com/#!/JerseyShoreHurricaneNews

Blessings!
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment